The Solarium fortress is set for an adjournment hearing at the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg on March 8.

The European Court ruled in 2016 that the UK had breached its obligation to give evidence about the use of solariums in the UK, a ruling which had implications for the use in Northern Ireland of the mineral.

The court ruled that there was a duty to inform the UK that solarium had been used in its armed forces.

In an interview with RTÉ News at One in April 2018, the Minister for Defence, Alan Shatter, said: “We were obliged to give them evidence.

We were told that it had been given to us by the British Government and we were given a document which was signed by the then British Government.”

This is a process that’s not normally open to the public, but if we go forward with it then the court can do that and the evidence that we’ve given would be taken into account by the court.

In 2016, Mr Shatter said the UK was committed to following the European Convention on Human Rights, and was not obliged to reveal the facts about the mineral in Northern Irish courts.

Mr Shatter also stated that the British government had “made an agreement with the European Commission to respect our obligations under the European convention and to cooperate with us in this process”.

“I would hope that that would be the case,” Mr Shatters added.

But the European court did not give the UK an assurance that it would abide by its obligations under that convention.

In the last two years, the UK has refused to provide evidence to the court about the military use of the material.

It has also refused to acknowledge the existence of a “national emergency” in Northern England.

This has led to the case, the Solaria fort Collin case, being set for adjournment.

The hearing will take place in Strasburg and will last about two weeks.

Tags: